Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day?

Sorry I've not been consistently posting, but surprisingly in the last week, I've been super popular on Match.com. I'm trying to stay on top of it. The hour and half commute tonight didn't really help.

Anyway, I have a story from yesterday. Yes, the day before the infamous holiday of love. I don't hate Valentine's Day. I exchange gifts with my parents and send a few Valentines to some of my single girlfriends. Love isn't always romantic.

So I had an appointment to see my dermatologist yesterday. I had run out of a prescription and needed a new one. He wouldn't just call it in to the pharmacy so I had to spend 10 minutes with him and get my little piece of paper.

So as he finished up writing in my chart, he says to me, "How old are you?" I tell him, "33." And he says, "Well, do you have any..." Before he could finish his sentence, I say to him, "Don't worry I'm not planning on getting pregnant or on the Pill." It was a legit answer - the medication interferes with the Pill and you shouldn't take it while pregnant. He's asked it before.

And then he says, "Well that wasn't what I was going to ask. I was going to ask if you had any valentines tomorrow." Huh? I stuttered, looking for an answer, "Well not really. I mean my parents are my Valentine, I guess". So awkward. I wasn't even sure what he was asking me. I was so confused. He made his exit shortly after my faux pas.

After I ran out of his office, I was thinking why did he ask my age before he strangely asked me about my valentines? What does my age have to do with it? Do old women not have valentines or young girls? I didn't think it was a age-specific day.

Or was he trying to hit on me? Awkward. I've been going to him since I was in high school. He's not ancient, but he's not a young buck either.

Oh well, I don't have a follow-up appointment to see where this is headed.

No comments: